Thursday, October 20, 2011

For Grandpa


My Grandpa, Joseph James Martodam, passed away two weeks ago. He lived a long, full, healthy life. He was 85 years old. He was tough and proud, but still teared up when he said goodbye to his family before leaving for a winter in Texas. He was stubborn, with a gruff demeanor, but quick to smile and wink mischievously. He was a veteran and an athlete, and the only grandparent brave enough to jump on our trampoline with us when we were younger.

He worked for the DNR for years. He loved working in his yard and his shop. He was a fisherman, hunter, and jack-of-all-trades.


He was a loyal and loving husband, married to my grandma for 64 years. Joe and Marcella's wedding, October, 1947:


At our wedding, June 2006:



He was a father to five, grandfather to ten, and great-grandfather to six:

 
He was a strong Catholic and a faithful Christian. He was a good person, who loved and was loved by many.

I'll end this post the way Grandpa used to begin every evening meal, with the blessing that will always, always make me think of him:

Bless us, oh Lord,
And these thy gifts which
we are about to receive from thy bounty,
through Christ, our Lord.
Amen.

Rest in peace, Grandpa. We love you, we will miss you, and we will not forget you.






 

2 comments:

Phil and Dana said...

Great post for a great man. So glad he got to meet Miss Marla. Hugs to you.

Jodi said...

This made me cry - in a good way. I feel like I knew him and I've never met him.