Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Sisters

I had my doubts about this whole sibling thing. Two months ago, I never thought Marla would accept a new baby with open arms. I figured she'd be jealous and take her resentment out on the baby, or at the very least regress in some way or another (potty training, sleeping, etc.). I'm happy to admit that I completely underestimated her.

She's been such a great big sister from the very beginning. She loves loves loves Avery.

She talks to her exactly like we do:
Hiiii, Avery!
Oh, what a BIG yawn.
It's ok, Avery, it's ok, I'm coming! I'm here, Avery, it's ok.

And she tells us what Avery needs and what she's feeling:
I think she needs to eat.
Don't push that button, it will scare Avery.
Mama, I think you're too close to her face.
Daddy, you need to be gentle!
She's laughing at me!
She's saying, "What is that silly sister doing?!"

Whenever Avery is on the floor, Marla makes a point of being next to her, talking to her and playing with her. She gets territorial when other kids try to get a glimpse of her sister, pushing them back and telling them "be gentle" or "she doesn't like that!"

Comforting her baby sister.



Helping with bath time.



She loves to read her books, sing her songs, pet her head, give her kisses and hugs, and "dance" with her by moving her arms and legs around. Here she is reading to Avery.

 
Chatting during tummy time.

 
Tickle tickle!
 
 
A little serenade session:
 
 
Avery seems to love Marla too, despite the occasional rough handling, super close proximity, sloppy kisses, and extra loud volume. I've been told that in time, Marla will be her biggest source of entertainment.



A few more pictures of the sisters together:
 

 


 
I just can't wait to watch this relationship grow. It's off to a great start!
 
 

No comments: