Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Daddy daycare

I went back to work two and a half weeks ago and left Marla to the devices of her father. I had been dreading the end of my maternity leave for a long time, but going back to work wasn't nearly as bad as I'd been expecting. Part of this is because it's kind of nice to get out of the house and interact with adults again. It's also nice to feel like I at least have some idea of what I'm doing... after months of feeling like I was in uncharted territory, getting back to a routine was a relief. But the biggest reason returning to work has been relatively easy is because I know Marla is with Jeff.

I'll be honest... I had my doubts about paternity leave. I wasn't worried so much about Marla as I was about Jeff's sanity. He is (admittedly) less patient than I am, so I was afraid he'd get overwhelmed quickly and decide that staying home with a baby wasn't his cup of tea. I'm happy to report that he's been doing great. He loves being home with Marla, and the two of them are bonding and getting to know each other even better than before.

Just look at these goofballs. Two peas in a pod.



Now, I'm trying not to be petty about this, but of course there is a teeny tiny part of me that can't believe anyone besides me could take such good care of Marla. Another part of me really hopes she doesn't forget about me in favor of Dad. But mostly, I'm just jealous, because now this is how Jeff and Marla get to spend their days:

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Way to go, Jeff!

Jodi said...

Oh I love it! This video made me laugh too! And I love her little ruffle butt. :)