Monday, November 29, 2010

Officer in Training

It's been an eventful month. I'm going to do my best to summarize in a few posts.

I went to Washington, D.C. early in November for a conference. There wasn't much time for sight seeing, but I managed to walk around the Capitol a bit and take a few pictures.





We also took tours of the Capitol and the White House, both of which were really interesting. Cameras weren't allowed in the White House, which is too bad, since I saw a member of the first family in person, a mere 10 feet away. That's right... I saw Bo, the First Dog! He's just as adorable up close as on TV, and seemed totally unfazed by the crowd of admirers. I guess he's adjusted to his celebrity status.


The best part of the trip was being able to see my friend Dana, who lives in the area. She's pregnant with a baby girl too, so we made sure the babies got some time to hang out and chat, fetus to fetus. It was pretty clear to us that they're going to be great friends.


Baby Schmidt didn't go unnoticed by the locals in D.C. In between meetings with our Wisconsin legislators, I was walking near the Capitol when a machine gun-armed police officer stopped me. I racked my brain, wondering what federal law I'd broken and how I'd talk my way out of it. Fortunately, he just wanted to give me this super cool badge for the baby:


She looks good as a federal cop, doesn't she?

On the flight home, I realized that between work trips and vacations, Baby Schmidt has taken 10 plane rides and visited six different states in utero. I'll be sticking close to home for a while now, but I'm hoping the traveling has instilled a sense of adventure in our baby!

No comments: